Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Write on, sister! An inspired business and my brand new blog.

Welcome to my blog!
It’s a little or maybe a lot strange to use a modern forum to write about not using modern forums. Let me first admit that I love technology and social media and everything that’s fast and immediate. I like that I can turn on my computer and read about whatever or reach out to whomever.
But I also believe that we are losing so much when we don’t express ourselves in a way that is lasting and fulfilling.
Here’s the back story. Let’s get it over with.
My mother died when I was 18. I knew almost nothing about her apart from what she did for me. I was a typical teen and didn’t see the value of knowing more. She was a woman facing death and was not happy about it. Our relationship stunk and that is that. It didn’t help that she hated having her picture taken. Or that my father remarried quickly and we never talked about her again. Or that her three brothers subsequently dropped out of our lives. Sometimes I think, Oh yeah, I had a mother. Sad.
Then my sister, with whom I was very close, was diagnosed with late stage ovarian cancer when she was just 38 and the mother of young twins. She fought hard for two years but the disease spread beyond control. At home on hospice care, Gail had a few days of lucidity. She suddenly and ferociously became preoccupied with writing. (I think it had a lot to do with our mother. When she died, she disappeared.) We went searching for something to make it easier for Gail. We settled on pretty stationery. She wrote a deeply moving page and a half before losing consciousness.
There you have it, my “aha” moment. I started a small, completely local business printing books that help painlessly pull information to document your life. With a portion of every sale going to two great charities. Simple.
And now a blog to help promote the business which helps promote the (almost) lost art of writing. See, it all makes sense. Sort of. Stay tuned.
A couple of pledges:
No future entry will be crazy long. They are meant to be read and enjoyed and not heavily pondered.
They won’t all be about journaling. That would get old. My goal is to offer a brief diversion, maybe a relatable laugh, and encourage you to write something down. Something funny, something poignant, maybe even something boring because your present day boring may not seem so boring when you’re looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment