Friday, December 16, 2011

Baby Ben is driving.

Have you ever been sorting laundry and you have your pile of regular wash and your pile of delicates and you get mixed up half way through and you start putting delicates with your regulars and regulars with your delicates and so you accomplish nothing and need to start over? Then you sigh with frustration, begin to re-sort, zone out half way through and mix them up again? I do that a lot. It makes me feel old. I can't even concentrate for the duration of a two minute task.

I marvel at Edy who remembers intricate details with ease. She corrects me often and patiently reminds me when it's pizza day at school or when library books are due. I write frantic notes on post-its everywhere. So many post-its. Her brain is sweet and sponge-like. My brain is old and full. Not of beneficial stuff either. Pop culture details mostly. Like the name of the dog on Hart to Hart. Freeway. I'm a little savant-ish about it. I watch a lot of tv. Always have. Always will. But lately even my best friend the boob tube has conspired to make me feel extra ancient.

Just the other day I was watching the Friends episode where Ross' son Ben is born. I did a little math to come up with Ben's current age. Holy crap! That baby is 16! (I'm old.)


Then I was uber excited to see My So-Called Life on the Sundance Channel. I loved that show when it originally aired in the early 90's. So much teen angst. The hot, dumb crush. The wild best friend. Flannel tied at the hips. I couldn't wait to watch it. But you know what? I related better to the parents. The kids were ultra melodramatic. Lighten up! (I'm old.)


Still love the opening theme. But seriously, those kids need to lighten up.

So to recap, what makes me feel old? Inept laundry sorting, early episodes of Friends and the "too deep teens" from My So-Called Life.


What makes me feel young? Running regularly with no major injuries, my sweet baby Bea and Betty White's resurgence in popularity.


What makes you feel old? What makes you feel young?

3 comments:

  1. What makes me feel young? Having a grandmother who still calls to see if u have seen the latest Beyonce video.
    What makes me feel old? When I reference U2 and my 8th grade students say "you who?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! A comment! Thanks, Abby. Love your grandmother and her southern drawl. Those are some good genes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about seeing Claire Danes all grown up on Homeland!?

    ReplyDelete