Friday, August 31, 2012

My evil side glance is practiced perfection.

I know I complained a lot about the end of the school year not coming fast enough. Well now I'm complaining about the beginning. So many other districts have started and my children are home watching really bad TV to pass the hours. Lu is now a big fan of the "Turtle Man." 

This should have been avoided.

The way I see it, we get screwed on both ends of summer. Last to finish. Last to start. We're always waiting. Impatiently.

What are your back-to-school memories and how do you feel about this time of year?

I don't have any meaty back-to-school memories to share. I will tell you that the buying of supplies and clothes was always fun because we didn't shop that often. A new Trapper Keeper or Michael Jackson portfolio was seriously awesome. As for clothes, we made our annual trek to the outlets in Reading (before there were outlets everywhere) and stocked up on socks and a few crisp pairs of Lee jeans. And that was that. Get on the bus!

I never like the end of any season. It feels old and used up. Tired and worn out. I took the girls to the deserted pool yesterday and felt kind of sorry for summer. It's hanging on, barely. The lifeguards checked out weeks ago, dreaming of football games, sweater sets and cute boys in calculus. (If this were 1957.)

Five things I like about the August/September transition:

1) Sales on clothes and fall fashion. I kid you not, Old Navy and GAP are paying you to take home t-shirts. If I had any kind of foresight, I would stock up. But I don't, so I don't. I buy toddler bathing suits in May for $50. Fall fashion is exciting, too, until I realize that high-heeled hiking boots and plaid micro-minis are not for me. Still, the idea is fun.

2) The fall weather tease. Those first few gloriously cool and breezy days after a long, hot stretch. Ahhhh!

3) It stays dark later in the AM. Many would see this as a negative, but not me. I hate getting up to run at 5:15, but I hate it more when it's light out. Doesn't seem so early even though it feels early. Darkness matches my fatigue better and makes me seem like a bad ass for rising before the sun.

4) The fall TV line-up hype. It always, always gets me pumped, even if it never, ever delivers. Love the happy songs they pick to accompany each well-edited video montage. Yippee, Matthew Perry's back!

5) "September" is much catchier than Earth, Wind and Fire's lesser known song "August" which warns of potato salad spoilage at your picnic.

Five things I loathe about this time of year:

1) School supply shopping. Edy needs six two pocket folders in six different colors and Lu needs ten two pocket, three fastener folders in five different colors. And so many tissues!! It's like a puzzle. I went to Staples the other night at 8:45 knowing they close at 9. A man sitting by the door informed me that I only had 15 minutes to shop. I almost took him down verbally. Almost. Do you really think I'd be visiting Staples this late if I had any real choice?? I was in and out in ten minutes and gave the man my best evil side glance while exiting. It's a good evil side glance. I hope he had nightmares.

2) The inevitable heat wave that follows the fall tease. I think I sweat more because it's all so unexpected. Even though I totally expect it.

3) It gets dark earlier in the PM. Simply put – depressing.

4) Busy streets. For a few weeks in August, Wayne is very quiet. Most neighbors are at the beach and the college kids have yet to return. Then they all come back like Capistrano swallows and Lancaster Avenue becomes a perpetual traffic jam once again.

5) Saying goodbye. Summer is the only season to which we bid an official "goodbye." I don't like it. Seems so dramatic. Goodbye fireflies. Goodbye musty bathing suit smell. Goodbye Turtle Man.

Hello school. Four more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment