Friday, October 26, 2012

Not your orb-inary Friday night! Boo!

I'm feeling totally terrified. And I like it!

Tonight I have a date with an old friend to tour a real, live haunted house. I guess it's more like a real, dead haunted house. No kids. Just silly us.

We got together a few years ago for a Chester County Community College event that featured a man who wrote a book about being haunted. I'm not sure if I received credits on my transcript or not, but it was so, so bad. The book itself is awful (Edy could create better sentence structure), but the actual presentation was even stupider. So stupid, it was amazing. We giggled the entire time. The sort of disruptive laughter you can't conceal. Here's the book review. Three stars is way generous.

Tonight's quest is the Selma Mansion in Norristown. Check it out. Chills, right? I'm going to try very hard not to giggle my way through it, but I probably will. Restless spirits, prepare to be angered!
The house was built in 1794 by a Revolutionary general. One of his sons, born in the mansion, would serve as Governor of Pennsylvania. The Knox family lived at Selma in the mid 1800's and unfortunately 3 out of four of their children and the mother died of yellow fever within a very short time. That's not good. Unless you want to experience a little Halloweeny fun. Then it's perfect! Wish me luck!

Crazy.
Once upon a time, October was pure excitement. It meant lots and lots of scary tv shows that weren't aired during the rest of the year.

There was a series called Scariest Places on Earth that I loved with a (disturbing) passion. It was narrated by the spooky medium lady from Poltergeist (and organ player from Sixteen Candles), Zelda Rubinstein. I seem to also recall another series hosted by Linda Blair. These shows were special because they were on for a limited time only, part of a Spooktober Scare Fest or something similar.

But their popularity made money-driven tv executives (the only kind that exist) decide to fund more paranormal shows. More and more. And broadcast them all year long. Soon the market was so watered down, it just didn't thrill anymore. It's like that line from The Incredibles, "Everyone can be super. And when everyone is super, no one will be."

And speaking of super, that's my super over-analyzed complaint about ghost shows on tv. I know I probably lost you a few paragraphs ago.

Cool.
Tonight! I'm ready to escape the safety of my happy home and potentially cross dimensions. Or, at the very least, take a few pictures and capture a few orbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment