Friday, November 16, 2012

My Thanksgiving vortex.

Jon had a nice, quiet summer. This was great, but mildly stressful for a guy who likes to stay busy. I reminded him to appreciate the break. Golf another round. You will be busy again.

Now he's busy again. And we're hosting Thanksgiving. And I'm addicted to Words with Friends. This is a recipe for frustration and really terrible gravy.


Crazy.
Thanksgiving.

Lots of people love it. It's Jon's favorite holiday. He enjoys the food. I enjoy the food. (Tart cranberries and savory stuffing in one bite. Yum.) I also enjoy the weather. But the menu and crisp air don't always counter the heaping helpings of family drama. There is always family drama.


It's amazing how people don't behave the way I want them to. Honestly. Life would be so much better and holidays would be like magazine articles, all cheerful and glossy. Don't you want that for yourself? Everybody does! Or at least they should. Our time here is short.


I admit that I have very high standards. Why not? High standards make for better table displays. It's true. And I admit that I have a hard time letting go of the past. But I try. I practice deep breathing exercises. I give myself pep-up pep talks. I remember all the fantastic things that surround me. Yes, being thankful helps me mentally prepare for Thanksgiving, a day about giving thanks and the cause of my stress. Do you see it? That statement is a big wheel of strange irony. Stand close and you might get sucked into its vortex. Tempting.


The Thanksgivings of my childhood were simple and perfect. Or at least that's how I remember them. We don't have many pictures so it's all in my head. Warmth. Smiles. Family. Love. Bad clothes.


How I wish I could ask my mom for an actual analysis. I'm sure she had opinions. She had lots of opinions. And I'm equally sure some were snarky. She had lots of snarky opinions. There is no doubt she resisted the urge to strangle someone at some point -- all while I merrily arranged homemade name cards on shiny china plates. (My kids are oblivious, too. It's good.) How odd that I feel especially connected to my mother when I'm totally frustrated with my family. I think I miss her more because I understand her more. 


On that "less than positive/missing my mother/considering the upside of strangulation" note, please enjoy your Thanksgiving. May the success of your gravy outshine whatever drama is brought to the table. No one can gripe with their mouths full.


Cool.
I am, admittedly, always late to a trend. And many times I need to be pushed and bullied into trying something new. I am comfortable with the status quo. "Same old, same old" is a big, soft sofa by a roaring fire. Getting up and going anywhere would just be cold.

I had heard of Words with Friends. I'm not under a rock! (More like a landscape gnome. It's fiberglass. I can peak out on occasion.) But it never, ever occurred to me to play. There are lots of social media-inspired games that look like trouble. I avoid trouble.


Then my ten year-old started playing with her cousin. Then she got a hold of my phone and signed me up. Then she challenged people to games. So there you have it. I started playing because my daughter made me.


Wouldn't you know, I love it! It's so chill, but fun. Move at your own pace. Exercise your mind. Yes, it brings out my nutty competitive nature, but the "luck" factor of random letters keeps me humble. Yeah for Words with Friends!!


Speaking of random, I am actively playing games with two very random people from my past. Good people. Smart people. But very, very unexpected people. Joby, you will never guess.


I could very nearly spell "refreshments" in a recent game. I like that word and I had a hard time letting it go. Refreshments offer such hope usually in a barely tolerable situation. Like during a meeting or at a boring open house or church function. The promise of a light bite makes it all better, even if the actual spread doesn't live up to your expectations. At its best, you get sugar cookies, maybe some buttery cracker rounds and squares of cheese, dips aren't out of the question, watered-down punch is typical. But it all tastes like heaven. Those refreshments are all you have. They save the day!


Maybe I should skip the turkey and offer refreshments on Thanksgiving? It's a thought and not a bad one.


1 comment:

  1. If I had an iPhone I would totally play with you :) Thanksgiving is also my favorite holiday, but I've never had to host so I'm sure all the planning/preparing is less than glamorous!

    ReplyDelete