Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Move over, Kim K.

It's my tenth post and I'm giving away prizes! Just kidding. How would I do that?

Have I convinced you to start documenting your life? Have I helped to make it easier with fun questions? I sure hope so. I'd hate to think I was wasting my time with all this blogging nonsense.

After Gail died and Know Me Journals was a reality, my sister Gwyn and I had a great plan. We would fill out a journal and answer all the questions for Gail, since leaving a record of herself was such a priority during her final days and was ultimately the inspiration behind the books. 

Then we would give it to her kids and everyone would cry (we cry A LOT) and knuckle bump, which I try to avoid in most circumstances.

Genius!

We carved out some time to sit down, a miracle considering our different schedules, then we cracked open a journal to fill it with words. Lots and lots of important and meaningful words. After all, we were both close to Gail and, of course, I wrote all the questions in the Know Me Journal. Between the two of us, it would be so simple and special and aren't we the greatest aunts ever!

(Screeching brake sound.)

It was hard. Really hard to answer for someone else. We didn't get very far.

So there you have it, on this, the occasion of my tenth post, another reason to start writing. Because no matter how well you think people know you, they really can't "speak" for you. 

Consider yourself forgiven if you haven't kept up with the challenge of this blog. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out my first post.) Or perhaps you just follow my rantings because it's better than returning work emails or folding underwear. 

But keep in mind, writing even a little bit, one story or thought every now and again, will give you a deep down feeling of validation. If you consider yourself a sucky writer, don't sweat it. Maybe just make lists, like three highlights from the last week. Even the somewhat mundane/small/boring events of today will be fun to recall tomorrow.

I've been reading Little House on the Prairie with Edy. We take turns. I read a page, she reads a page. She likes that it's Laura's voice, the middle of three daughters, and that Laura is naughty compared to uptight Mary. I like how it shows the challenges of pioneer living 130 years ago. Those kids work! And share a bed and own one dress. At Christmas, all they get is a tin cup, but boy are they thrilled! Santa really delivered! I asked Edy if she'd be happy with a tin cup. She was horrified.

More than the content, however, I love listening to Edy read. She has a speech impediment that is slight enough to be adorable without the need for intervention. And she has a distinct way of reciting sentences that end in an exclamation point. Halfway through, she realizes the need to emphasize the words and the sudden enthusiasm is so darn cute. I've tried to get it on video, but when she's being filmed, it's not the same.

So that's my small thing that I KNOW I will forget if I don't write it down. Especially because we're almost done the book and Edy just turned 7. She'll probably smooth out her delivery by next Wednesday. Time roars on.

Describe one thing about your life right now that you want to remember, but you know you'll probably forget. Maybe it concerns your kids, or yourself, or a coworker, or your pet. Something sweet and small that doesn't stand a chance in your brain full constantly evolving activity schedules and the latest details of the Kardashian divorce. 

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for my 14 followers. And so, so, much more!

2 comments:

  1. Here is one thing that I forgot until just now -- how your family coined the label: Purple Boubaline! I am sure I butchered that spelling. One time we went to Gail's to babysit (!!!! because the twins are adults now) and Gail had it. Then we went back to Reimert and I thought I didn't have it. But I did have it. And I didn't want to barf in the shared bathroom and felt bad about it so I sprayed some terrible Victoria's Secret perfume in there so no one would smell a hint of barf smell but the perfume was so bad that it probably made everyone want to barf. Purple Boubaline -- so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm laughing Sarah, because it looks like Bettis wrote this comment! And I'm pretty sure Bettis wasn't my college roommate. I'd remember a horse for a roommate. I think. What I totally remember is your bout with the Purple Boubaline. (I don't know if there's a correct spelling. My guess is it's never been spelled.) Do you remember barfing out the window? Hey, you do what you need to do!

    ReplyDelete