Friday, April 27, 2012

You can't deny catchy.

I have divulged many personal details on my blog, yet writing about this week's topic leaves me apprehensive. People are so weird, possessive, attached to and completely righteous about their taste in music. Defensive, elitist, I could go on. But since my blog/challenge is to put "me" in writing (with the goal of encouraging "you" to do the same) and music is very connected to memories, it was time to go there.


At first I thought about simply listing my favorite songs, like if I needed to create a music mix to take on a trip to a far off and desolate place that doesn't have internet, what would I include? What songs can I listen to over and over again because the far off and desolate place doesn't have cable either and all the streaming music channels?


But then I decided this idea is terrible because everyone would read my post and judge my taste (which is, admittedly, nothing special) and spawn music debates that go nowhere. And furthermore, my supposed trip to a far off and desolate place sounds awful. I can't imagine surviving for long let alone jamming day after day to my ideal compilation.


Instead, I went through my iTunes library and came up with ten artists and albums that have meaning to me during a particular moment in my life. Just ten. So incredibly hard! Eventually, methodically, I created the list below with brief descriptive reasoning. Actually, I spent very little time putting it together because I have very little time in general. Every week it seems. So enjoy and don't judge.


1. Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits
My mom was a fan of Cat Stevens. His music reminds me of our old stereo tucked behind the sofa in the living room and the giant padded earphones that plugged into it. I liked the songs way before I could grasp the lyrics and long before Cat morphed into Yusuf. I became reacquainted with this album when I was a teenager. We listened while working long hours at the pool snack bar. When I hear "Wild World," I recall soft pretzels, creamsicles and the golden summers of my youth.


2. Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack
I almost chose ABBA - The Album. Both had intricate fold-out covers (sleeves?) with glamorous, glossy photo spreads. Say what you will about disco, but the groove-ability is hard to resist! Ultimately, Saturday Night Fever won out because I also owned the matching Sesame Street Fever album -- and I'm currently re-appreciating Sesame Street, Grover in particular, thanks to Bea.


3. Michael Jackson - Thriller
This is obvious. Thriller was released when I was a totally impressionable 13 year-old. I can still see myself boogying in the cafeteria at a middle school dance to "Wanna Be Starting Something." Yes, it was with Mr. Dorneman, the world's nicest teacher, but he had good moves. To this day, I am an uninhibited dancer. You (and the world at large) can thank Michael for that! The Thriller album cover adorned one of my 7th grade pocket folders and I may have kissed it on occasion.


4. REM - Document
I played the heck out of this album when I first learned to drive. It makes me think of freedom... and having one hand on the steering wheel while using the other to root around the floor of the car in search of the right tape. Then pressing rewind or fast forward while attempting to follow the newly memorized rules of the road. REM's lyrics were deep and didn't make much sense, but I was also incredibly deep at sixteen and didn't make much sense.


5. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Every time I hear a song from this album, I turn to Jon and say with a sigh, "Pink Floyd reminds me of my high school boyfriend." It's like a pang of nostalgia. Even though he's sitting right next to me, and still sports a full head of hair, their music evokes a sense of wistfulness for a stage of life long gone.


6. Nirvana - Nevermind
We loved our dance music on the weekends at Ursinus, but a little Seattle grunge went a long way. This was the era of MTV Unplugged and the stripped down songs were really quite cool. It was also exciting to see people my age releasing music about my generation -- though, in truth, I didn't have a fully realized coffee addiction (yet), harbor tons of angst, or go weeks without washing my hair.


7. Indigo Girls
I was introduced to the Indigo Girls in college. Their self-titled album is a young coed's sing-along dream come true. All that harmony! After graduating, I saw them perform several times. The mid-nineties for me were filled with music festivals. So lucky! I worked for an ad agency and managed to get passes to many shows, but Jon sprung for Lilith Fair tickets one birthday and off we went together. It was both sweet and awkward. So many ladies. And lots of ladies who prefer ladies. And Jon. I became a big fan of Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, and Shawn Colvin as a result.


8. Lyle Lovett - I Love Everybody
When we first settled into our little house in Baltimore, I felt content. I am domestic at heart and finally had a place to practice my passion. It was nearly four years before we had Lu during which time I don't know what we did?? Had friends over for wine a lot?? Lyle Lovett reminds me of friends and wine and no kids.


9. Sting - Brand New Day
I love Sting. Have always loved Sting. This album came out right before the millennium when everything seemed so bright and shiny in our world. But mostly I loved this album because I love Sting. Have always loved Sting. (My Latin teacher mom thought his lyrics were smart. "Caught between the scylla and charybdis...") With Brand New Day, Sting proved he could be prolific. Having him around and relevant makes me feel less old and provides flow between the decades of my life. I love Sting.


10. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood Soundtrack
I read the book, but didn't see the movie. Then I heard the movie soundtrack, produced by T-Bone Burnett, was fabulous. I bought it right after Lu was born and could not stop listening to the song "Selah" by Lauryn Hill. It's about the birth of her daughter - with Bob Marley's son for an additional piece of trivia. Even though my "baby daddy" wasn't rastafarian, it felt so close and familiar. There was also a bizarre, but upbeat, french song called "Lulu Revenue Dans La Village" to which I would swing around a laughing baby Lu. Makes me smile.


This list goes to 11! My bonus album is the original High School Musical Soundtrack. After many years of kids' songs and three hideous Wiggles' concerts, the High School Musical Movie and Soundtrack were like a giant gulp of water on the edge of a beautiful oasis after crossing a blisteringly hot sandy stretch for many, many miles. It was a relief when Lu could enjoy a song about more than counting or healthy snack choices. (Right now, Bea is watching Yo Gabba Gabba and they are singing "glasses, glasses, help me see much better!" My point precisely.) Now in an effort to stay current, I am a devoted fan of Radio Disney and fierce admirer of Selena Gomez and the Scene, not to mention Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, Jessie J and LMFAO. Don't hate. You can't deny catchy.


List ten (or eleven) artists and albums that have had meaning in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment