Friday, July 13, 2012

Heavenly nudges and pops of color.

The wedding was lovely. The bride wore white and none of us melted. The entire weekend was very well executed and the reception dance mix - perhaps the most important detail - was flawless.


When I wrote last week's blog post I debated whether to mention that we were away. They say (wise and cautious people) not to write about being on vacation or else internet surfing criminals with mad puzzle solving skills will figure out precisely where you live and rob you blind. I sort of believe, if you have that kind of sleuthing talent, then you deserve my Keurig coffee maker!


I almost asked Jon for his opinion, but I knew he'd immediately shoot it down. He is the king of wise and cautious people.


But something urged me to include Michigan and so I did. One quick paragraph that had nothing to do with the weekly topic.


A few hours later, I received a Facebook message from Gail's best friend from high school. She read my post and was curious where we were in Michigan because she lived in Saint Joseph's. Which is exactly where we were.


It was fantastic to see her, but also sad. Our entire connection is through Gail. The way she talks and gestures reminds me so much of my sister. It also reminds me that Gail was very young. Unfairly young. Two years of fighting cancer aged her fast. If she never got sick, if she was still alive and well, she'd be an active, peppy part of our lives. I am sure of it. Boo on cancer for stealing that from us, but yeah for Gail who clearly nudged me to write about Michigan. It's sort of freaky and great. (We weren't robbed, in case you care.)


But yes, the wedding was also great. It's so much more acceptable to be different these days. From Pinterest to Etsy, there are countless, clickable resources to find inspiration. I have noticed that more couples are embracing ways to make their weddings unique and even quirky. Good quirky.


What memories do you have from your own wedding or from attending someone else's? What did you like? What would you do differently?


My wedding was rather blah. Not bad, just lacking in creativity. That was standard in the day. Staying classic was the goal and I guess I should be grateful. My dress, veil and hair have stood the test of time. No big, teased bangs or puffy sleeves. Simple. Classic. Yawn.


Lu and Edy loved the Michigan wedding. It took place on a pristine beach with ribbons flapping in the golden sunshine. The wedding colors were purple and pink. Lu asked me what mine were and I confessed that I didn't have a color scheme but my bridesmaids wore navy. I should have incorporated a pop of something else. Fuschia. Melon. Chartreuse. All three!


A few other things I'd re-do if I could travel back to 1997.


- I wouldn't register for china and crystal. My mother-in-law insisted and I obeyed. It's difficult to plan a wedding without a mother of your own :(. I was too impressionable.


- DJ all the way. We had a band. They were fine, but unless you can get a fabulous band (which my budget did not permit) a DJ is easier and awesomer for Michael Jackson mash-ups.


- Creative touches everywhere! Like even in the bathrooms. Monogrammed everything and favors galore. Signature drinks (the Gretch-Gin 'n Tonic?) and menu items with personal meaning. Interesting/artsy photography. Crazy pops of color! 


Where's that time machine?


Things I wouldn't change:


- My dress. I took a trip to a bridal consignment store called "I Do! I Do!" and bought a never-owned gown from a designer's runway show. The bottom was a little dirty and straight pins held a pale pink flower on the back. It was truly one-of-a-kind.


- The weather was perfection. Though it poured the night before and poured even harder the next day.


- My bridal party. It's been 15 years, but I would choose the exact same group of girls. I am lucky to have such deep and lasting friendships.


- The groom. But I'd give him a pop of color, of course. Yellow plaid socks maybe?


Besides the hurricane weekend, my other most memorable wedding experience featured a fainting bride and her fainting chuppah-holding brother. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the entire ceremony!! Would they, could they, stay standing?! The reception that followed had an incredible energy. In a loving attempt to make it better for the slightly shell-shocked couple, everyone was fully engaged – meaning on the dance floor – all night long. My kind of party!


It's strange to think that in 15 more years, Lu may be planning her wedding. I will spare no detail, or expense, or random and vibrant pop of color. Just wait!


(And you know she'll prefer navy.)


Gwyn, Gail, Geoff and me. Lots of "G's," but very little color. 
The gloves are stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment