Friday, July 6, 2012

July 4th in a flash.

Hello from the Midwest! Where it's also very, very hot. No relief. Yesterday we took a flight to Chicago then drove two hours to a town on Lake Michigan. (In our stylin' Subaru Legacy!) By the time we arrived, I had a headache the size of all the Great Lakes combined and maybe a few of their larger tributaries. Too many kids in tight spaces. Too many degrees above 100. It seriously sucked. But here we are and after swimming all morning, Beazy is napping soundly while Jon takes Lu and Edy to a wing joint, because Lu is very into wings these days and Edy just goes with the program.


I have about 15 minutes to pull off a post. 


Fourth of July. What are your memories?


Mine are mostly parade related. A parade went right past my house when I was a kid. How many people can claim that? I knew it was special. We'd invite friends, set up chairs at the edge of our yard, and glare at the folks we didn't know who had the audacity to spread a blanket under our trees. My mom would put together a buffet of breakfast foods that always, always included powdered doughnuts. When I think of July 4th, I think of parades and when I think of parades, I think of powdered doughnuts.


I'm thinking of powdered doughnuts now. Nothing special. The boxed brands will do. Maybe I'll text Jon...


Our small town parade consisted of old cars, fire trucks, boy scout troops, veterans (who make me cry every time), and multiple bands of uncomfortable-looking teenagers hauling their drums and tubas.


(Have I mentioned that Lu wants to play the tuba next year? The tuba! What girl plays the tuba? I played the flute because it was sweet and delicate – though I was hardly delicate thanks partly to the powdered doughnuts. I tried to guide her towards the french horn, but she's convinced and committed. The music teacher is overjoyed. Guess they don't get many tuba-takers.)


In my opinion, parades last about ten minutes too long. When I'm ready to grab my folding chair and go, another antique car will turn the corner and honk its trembling horn. Enough. Same with fireworks. Love them so much for the first little bit. Will even get weepy. But less than halfway through, I find myself wishing for the finale. Is this the finale? This must be the finale. Please, oh please, be the finale! Maybe it's the earsplitting sound or the fact that pulsating bright flashes are a migraine trigger? Either way, I think ten booms are plenty sufficient.


I guess I support my patriotism in moderation. But not my powdered doughnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment