Friday, December 28, 2012

Apologies for making you envision my clear cylinder.

Crazy. (Five reasons I'm thrilled that the holiday season is coming to a close.)

1. I'm so, so sick of jingling bells. What gave me goosebumps in November, is now a migraine trigger. This encompasses every Christmas song ever sung. They all feature bells. During the lead up. In the chorus. As it wraps and fades. Goodbye, holiday radio! I would physically kick you out of my life if you weren't invisible.

2. Art projects. When the season hits full swing, the kids develop an insatiable urge to decorate, create and make stuff. Lots of stuff. All kinds. Of course, these holiday projects require my participation and/or supervision. My achy knuckles can only cut so many paper snowflakes.

3. Holiday food. I once watched a British tv show where they took everything an overweight person ate and dumped meal after meal into a giant clear cylinder. Then mixed it up - churn, churn, yuck - to make a graphic point. I tell you, my clear cylinder would be so nasty and full, I bet it would bubble and belch.

4. I'm a tired mom. I am fighting the urge to nap right now. Heavy lids. Heavy and getting heavier.

5. People. From crowded malls, to parties, to school functions and bizarre family members, I'm over the sheer volume of you and the weirdness (some of) you peddle. Because you have overwhelmed me, I'm going to request some space. Let's start with infinity miles through the end of winter.

Cool. (Five things I'll miss.)

1. Bea singing jingle bells, though she hasn't let up and it's three days post-Christmas. (Her vocal pizzicato is pure perfection!) Explaining the calendar to a two year old is wasted energy.

2. Lu and Edy's homemade gifts on Christmas morning. Even though they relied on me heavily to craft their cuteness, I realize that once they are old enough to purchase supplies, work my fickle printer, safely cut with adult scissors and not glue their fingers together, they will no longer feel motivated to declare their affections so sweetly. I'll get a text. If I'm lucky.

3. I do love food and will miss the "go ahead, it's the holidays," mentality I so fully embrace. Perhaps I am slightly proud of my clear cylinder??

4. Tired kids. There is nothing better than kids who hit the pillow hard. Head down and they're out. Exhausted, happy kids who are safely tucked into their soft, warm beds. It's a beautiful thing!

5. I'm sick of people, but not my people. My family of five. Come January 2nd, I will miss having the girls home from school and Jon in his lounge-about clothes, lounging about. I like us huddled inside while the winds whip and slushy snow falls. Cozy bliss.

Happy post-holidays to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment