Friday, December 21, 2012

Ridiculously mature.

Crazy.
I wasn't going to write about twenty elementary school children being gunned down. My puny thoughts can not begin to make sense of the terror or console those who are broken. But what else is there to compare? It's not just crazy, it's horrifying, a nightmare come true.

Here's my opinion on the bigger debate, for what it's worth.

I am a "live and let live" kind of gal. I truly believe it takes all kinds. When it comes to lifestyles that differ from my own, I am open-minded.

That said, the unreasonably paranoid gun enthusiast has me baffled. I respect your right to own weapons, but why can't you agree that the deadliest of rifles should be banned? Destroyed. No longer manufactured. As a nation, we can make this happen. Are you hunting herds of deer? Do you need to shoot an entire case of empty beer cans? Quickly? Without reloading? I'm sorry, but my children's safety trumps your hobby.

The NRA spoke out today and said what we really need are armed guards at every school. That's like handing out flame retardant suits in a raging inferno rather than working to put out the fire. Keep playing, kids! You'll get used to the heat! Oh, and who's paying for these suits, I mean guards? Schools are woefully underfunded as is.

What about the movie theater? The mall?

I'm also confused by moms getting all second amendment crazy because they identify as conservative and that's how the conservative playbook reads. Step back and think for yourself. Think about the fear those children felt. (Yes, they would have been afraid of a man with a machete, but they would have also stood a chance.)

The fear. That's what sticks with me. The children are at peace - now - but I'm certain the parents will never stop imagining the fear. Imagining the scene.

God bless them.

There's so much more to say, but I don't have the time or talent to word it well. There's a holiday sing at our elementary school in less than an hour and I will be there... because my children are my everything... not just a hobby/sport/recreational activity/reason to play in the woods.

Cool.
For many years, Lu declared that she was not at all interested in piercings. Or tattoos. Mohawks were also on her "never" list. She wanted us to know.

Then she got a little older. Then she changed her mind. Not about the mohawk, thankfully. She wanted her ears pierced and I had no problem with it, but I suggested she wait until soccer season ended. After soccer season, she seemed to forget. So did I.

On Monday night, I decided to drag the girls to the mall. Jon was (shockingly) out-of-town. I knew Bea would be a disaster, but I wanted a picture with Santa and we missed every other lap-sitting opportunity in town.

So Lu asked, "Can I get my ears pierced?" Feeling guilty about making an almost 11 year-old engage a mall Santa ("Have you been good, young lady?"), I said fine. She was stunned. And nervous. But resolved.

After Santa, we went straight to Piercing Pagoda. While waiting for the teenage manager to call Lu back, I stroked her perfectly formed earlobes. So soft. I made them. There was a sudden sense of ownership and a rush of regret, but it was too late. Deep breath.

Five days post-piercing and her ears look beautiful. They aren't red or sore or infected. So far. Most importantly, Lu is thrilled. Some changes are good not just for the surface reality, but for the way they make us feel. In Lu's case, it's "sassy" with a touch of "aren't I ridiculously mature?"

Yes you are. Getting there at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment