Friday, December 7, 2012

No, I am not on cold medication. It was a stomach bug.

Or bad Thai food. Nonetheless, prepare for some serious "stream of conscious" ramblings.

This week, I'm combining Cool and Crazy because I'm efficient like that and because I'm still recovering. It took me down. It took me down hard.

Plus I chose a very random topic and couldn't decide if it was cool or crazy, then concluded that it is both. It can happen. It did happen.

Have you ever had an itch and when you itch it, you feel it somewhere else on your body. How crazy is that? And cool! It reminds me that we are a blob of cells interacting in ways we can't always control. Which is good because I mess things up a lot. If I was responsible for remembering to release bile from my pancreas, I would totally put it off and then die.

For me at least, never have the weird workings of my body been more weird (crazy and cool!) as they were when I was pregnant. Every day, I went about my routine – eating, driving, watching BRAVO tv – while simultaneously building a human life with, as it so happens, a soul. Just like that.

Of course talk of sour bellies and pregnancy makes me think of Duchess Kate. It's crazy that she was hospitalized, but it's cool that she's pregnant. Yeah for a baby royal who is also half commoner! Poor Kate needs to beef up a little and maybe she won't be so sick. I saw a report that claims she is 5' 10" and 95 lbs. What? I did some quick math in my head (5 lbs. per inch of height) and realized I would need to weigh about 70 lbs. to be her size. Um. No thanks.

Ironically, on the day they officially announced her pregnancy, they also passed a new law that makes the first born child successor to the throne, male or female. Go girls! I guess before, if a son was born after a daughter, he would simply bump her out. Bah-bye. Bump!

This gets a little complicated, though, since her severe sickness has sparked twin rumors. Most twins are born by c-section. How do they choose who to yank out first? Jon made some comment about royals murdering their siblings throughout history in a play for power. But during Medieval times, it was a lot easier to commit murder, throw your brother in a well, and then claim the throne as your own. Blame the court jester or whomever, kill anyone who protests. Move on as king until someone poisons you. Today, that wouldn't fly.

Because -- it's a better world today! (For most of us in the West, at least.) I love to argue with people who "long for the past." I guarantee, Kate's baby or babies will be very well dressed and won't be tossed in any wells.

Here's a picture of Lu and Edy at the Tower of London. Beheadings are fun! That's all. Back to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment